23 November 2009

Gingerly

Gingerly

First, match her hair with the color of rust
Or even the red clay in south Georgia.
Next, put her feet into a pair of tall boots
So I hear her coming a mile away,
Her heels talk talk talking to the ground.
What about her eyes?
Should they green like a tomboy’s,
Blue like a mermaid’s,
Or brown, like Sycamore leaves in Autumn?
After you wrap her shoulders in a thin green sweater,
So she looks like a Christmas present,
I will unravel her like a greedy child.
Will her skin will be soft
Like a stewed carrot that I crush with my tongue?
You should put a freckle on her face for each of her birthdays,
I guess she won’t get much sun.
Then paint her fingernails the same color as her fingertips
When I hold her hand too tight and it loses feeling.
Perfume her neck with strawberries or rose petals
But make sure her blood tastes like iron.

No comments: